For the latest information, bookmark and visit our website at www.polarisk12.org
Monday, April 11
- Kids in the Kitchen for 5th/6th grade families5:00-7:00 p.m.
- Accreditation Parent Meeting: 7:45 a.m. or 3:15 p.m.
- Elementary Early Release/Secondary PLC Day
- Secondary Options: 1st session: Henna Painting/Card Making or Gym Games; 2nd session: Gym Games or Study Hall
- Student Led Conferences: No School
- We are looking at enrollment numbers for the 2016-17 school year. If your student will not be returning to Polaris next year, please let Angela know at Borjon_angela@asdk12.org; 742-8714.
- Polaris K-12 School will be going through the accreditation process during this upcoming school year. Accredited schools are held to high standards and must maintain those standards. We will be participating in a self-assessment as well as an external review. See the attached document for more information about accreditation. There will be 2 meetings on April 12 to provide further information. If you would like to serve on a committee, please contact the office. Even if you are unable to serve on a committee, we need your support. Look for computers in the lobby during conferences to complete a survey. In addition, you can use this link to complete the survey at home. http://www.polarisk-12.org/2017-accreditation.html
- Just a reminder that although it’s getting lighter in the morning, the school doors open at 7:20 a.m. Please make arrangements accordingly.
- Student Operational Group has passed Resolution #6. This resolution shifts the organizing body of student government from executive officers to a student board for the 2016/17 school year. Depending on the success of this model, continued conversations, and feedback; a policy change will be considered. The Operational Board will consist of four upperclassmen positions, four underclassmen positions and two middle school mentees. Spring elections for the upperclassmen positions (current 10th and 11th graders) and Student Advisory Board Reps (grades 6-12) will be held April 26th. Students must declare their candidacy for these positions online or in person with Heidi or Amelita by April 15th. Informational about Resolution #6, elections, and position roles and responsibilities are on the Operational Group website. http://www.polarisk-12.org/operational-group.html
- Celebrate Student-Led Conferences with a lunch out and support our school at the same time. For a limited time (April 11-24), Red Robin is donating 5% of your check (instead of the usual 1%) to the school of your choice every time you visit and use your Red Robin Royalty account! Visit redrobin.com/betterschools to select your school, get the word out and learn more. It's free to join!
- Learn how to grow your own vegetables and flowers this summer using the Polaris Habitat as a practice bed as we grow produce for our annual fall Polaris harvest fundraiser. Experienced gardeners will be available by appointment throughout the summer to meet with less experienced learners to teach and work in this special space. Participation will be a privilege that entails some responsibility. As students and families get more knowledgeable and comfortable, they can assume more responsibilities and eventually help mentor younger students and less experienced families. The Polaris Habitat is a wonderful resource that can enrich our summer experiences as well as our school year. To participate or to get additional information, please contact Bryan Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4/20-22: School Play
4/22: Student Led Conferences: No School
4/23: Alaska Heart Run
4/27: Band/Orchestra Concert 8:30 a.m.
4/27: Band/Orchestra Concert 6:00 p.m.
4/27: Polaris Day of Caring
4/27: Elementary Early Release
4/28: Elementary Student Music Concert 9:30 a.m.
4/29: Advisory Day
4/30: Community Clean Up
5/2: Intensives Begin
5/11: Elementary Early Release
5/17: Graduation 7:00 p.m. UAA Wendy Williamson
5/19: Last Day of School: All School Picnic