For the latest information, bookmark and visit our website at www.polarisk12.org
Monday, February 15
- President’s Day: No School
- Elementary Early Release/Secondary PLC Day
- Secondary Options:
- 1st session: Card Making or Hip-Hop Danching
- 2nd session: Suicide Prevention: You Are Not Alone or Hip-Hop Dancing
- Family Skate Night at Skateland to benefit Pennies for Patients 6:00-8:30
- In-service Day: No School
- Book Fair at Barnes & Noble 11:00-3:00
- Please STOP for Crossing Guard: The Polaris Crossing Guard plays an important role in the lives of students who walk or bike to school. We are very fortunate this year to have our own crossing guard. Please respect the Crossing Guard’s duties and responsibilities. As a motorist you have to watch for children and the Crossing Guard at the intersection of Ashwood Street and E 64th Avenue. You MUST STOP when the Crossing Guard’s STOP SIGN is up. Be patient until the children have safely completed crossing, and the Crossing Guard has safely returned to the sidewalk/curb before proceeding. In respecting the Crossing Guard rules and responsibilities, you are setting a good example for your child(ren) as well as other children and their families and helping to keep everyone safe.
- Do you have an incoming Kindergartener in your family? While siblings of current students do receive a sibling preference, all families must still fill out a lottery application in order to have a student placed on the lottery list for Polaris. Please be sure to complete lottery applications before 5pm on March 24th here: https://lotapp.asdk12.org/apply/login.php
- Just a reminder that while ASD is holding conferences Feb. 17-18, Polaris will haveStudent Led Conferences in April. We made this change in schedule in order to provide your child the opportunity to have a portfolio that is reflective of the learning throughout the semester and to hold true to the spirit of our conferences: a celebration of your child! Should you have concerns regarding your child’s progress, please contact the teacher to schedule a meeting.
- Polarian Newsmaker & Groundbreakers - We don't like to brag...wait...of course we do! Polarians continue to pursue and achieve excellence in and outside of our school. If you would like to share a recognition with our community, please complete the form on the bottom of our homepage and we will contact you for more information and photos. Sharing accomplishments not only earns some well-deserved recognition, but also encourages and inspires others on their journeyhttp://www.polarisk-12.org/polarian-newsmakers--events/happy-100th-day-of-school
- Congratulations to Clover and Cash, our elementary Spelling Bee champions. Clover will now go on to the state bee. http://www.polarisk-12.org/polarian-newsmakers--events/polaris-elementary-spelling-bee-champions
- National Read Across America and Celebration of Dr. Seuss Day: Polaris K-12 Elementary will be joining thousands of other schools across the country to celebrate reading on Dr. Seuss Day. Parents and family members are invited to come into the classrooms from 9:00 to 10:00 to read to students, followed by a birthday brunch in the MPR from 10:00 to 11:20. Each family group has been assigned potluck items, which are listed on the attached flyer. More information about Read Across America can be found at the National Education Association website (nea.org). Dr. Seuss Day.pdf
- CHILI COOK OFF! FEBRUARY 17th from 11:20-12:20 Tia's Family Group will be hosting our second Chili Cook Off! to raise money for our upcoming overnight trip to Seward. Come join us on February 17th from 11:20-12:20 in room 223 for all you can eat chili! Tickets in to the event are $5.00 and will include your bowl for chili, a slice of bread, a drink of choice. There will be a variety of chilis available, including a gluten free option! Please join us!
- Pennies for Patients: This year’s Pennies for Patients fundraiser will begin on February 1. Our goal for the year is to raise $11,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. LLS works with children who have blood cancers, and they help to support their families in so many wonderful ways.
- There are many ways you can help to support our fundraising efforts. There are contests between the family groups and advisories so you may choose to donate directly to your child’s class. You can also make donations to LLS and give those to Nurse Patty. Soon there will be a website posted for online donations as well. Ask your child’s teacher for details.
- If you want to write a check, please make it out to LLS.
- The last day of our fundraiser is April 15. If you have any questions please contact Nurse Patty.
- News from Parent Forum:
- Parent Forum has Fur Rondy Buttons for sale. Please see Crystal.
- Barnes & Noble Book Fair Saturday Febuary 20th, 11:00am-3:00pm. We still need volunteers to help run a few activities. Sign up sheets on PF board in lobby.
- Fur Rondy Snow Sculptures -If anyone (Elementary or Secondary) wants to help and would like information about it please see Crystal or Dannielle.
- Parent Forum is looking for donations for our Annual Auction.
Save the Date:
2/22-2/23: All School Seminar 8:30-9:20 a.m.
3/2: Elementary Early Release
3/2: Elementary Read Across America Day/Dr. Seuss Day
3/8: Intensives Calendars Go Home
3/9: Advisory Board 3:15; Parent Forum 4:30
3/10: Science Night
3/11: In-service Day: No School
3/14-3:18: Spring Break: No School
3/22: Elementary Intensive Choices Due
3/24: ASD Lottery Applications Due
3/28: AMP Testing Begins
3/29: Science SBA; Grades 4, 8, 10
3/30: Elementary Early Release/Secondary PLC Day
3/31-4/1: AMP Testing for grades 7/8
4/1: School Auction
4/4-4/5: AMP Testing for grades 3, 6
4/5: Intensive Scholarship Applications Due to the Office by 8:30 a.m.
4/6: Advisory Board 3:15; Parent Forum 4:30
4/6-4/7: AMP Testing for grades 4/5
4/11-4/12: AMP Testing for grades 9/10
4/13: Elementary Early Release/Secondary PLC Day
4/15: Intensive Fees Due
4/15: Student Led Conferences: No School
4/20-22: School Play
4/22: Student Led Conferences: No School
4/26: Elementary Music Concert 9:30
4/27: Band/Orchestra Concert 8:30
4/27: Elementary Early Release
4/29: Advisory Day
5/2: Intensives Begin
5/11: Elementary Early Release
5/17: Graduation 7:00 p.m. UAA Wendy Williamson
5/19: Last Day of School: All School Picnic